Saturday, April 28, 2012

Veggies

Hello Again,

Been a little lazy the past few days.  I haven't run in 3 days...lame!  I've been eating okay though. 

One of the hardest parts for me in eating healthy is getting in more vegetables.  I don't like vegetables.  Never have.  As a kid the only vegetable I would eat was raw cauliflower with ranch dressing.  This probably last through most of high school. I even ordered my tacos meat & cheese only.  The thought of lettuce on my taco was unbearable.  I would say I slowly started to added a few raw vegetables to my repertoire but still couldn't stomach a cooked vegetable.  I am such a picky eater! I'm very weird about texture and smells of foods.  As many of my close friends know that includes an aversion to oranges, bubble gum, pudding, custard, mushrooms, corn....and the list goes on and on and on. As picky as I am I will say that I will pretty much try anything once.  Some of these things include sweet breads, oysters, chicken tikka masala, wine, artichokes, crawfish, sushi, hearts of palm, and broccoli. I have found that I really like some of these things and I really gag at the thought of others!

A few months back when I became pretty obsessed with pinterest I found a recipe titled "the best broccoli of your life." Being as skeptical as I am about cooked vegetables I was intrigued and pinned the recipe.  When I started following the Belly Fat Cure I knew I needed to start incorporating more vegetables into my life.  I decided to give the broccoli recipe a try.  I bought all the ingredients at Whole Foods.  I will say I was hoping for the best but not expecting much.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I loved it.  LOVED!  The texture is so different from boiled or steamed broccoli.  It's crispy, salty, and delicious!  I pretty much followed the recipe from the blog.  A few lessons I have learned: 1. I like to cook it about 30 min. so that it's extra crispy (almost burnt). 2. organic broccoli makes a difference in taste 3. I like to make sure the stems are not very long at all...the best part are the crowns!  I cut up the stems into bite size pieces for my dogs and they love them!

As Rachel Ray would say "YUM-O"



Mixed with minced garlic, salt, and pepper


Roasted to Perfection

Finished with lemon juice and parmesan cheese
(and yes my plate is pink)


Have you tried the best broccoli of your life???  Let me know what you think.





5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:29 PM CDT

    The broccoli looks burnt. Is that just the picture, or is it really that dark?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not burnt but probably a few minutes from it. I like it just on the verge b/c then it's extra crispy. I don't like it to be soft or mushy at all!!!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8:33 AM CDT

      Ahh, okay. I like just about any vegetable if it's roasted.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:34 PM CDT

    Have you tried Kale chips yet? I could see you liking those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have! But they ended up a little too burnt (even for me) and too salty. I need to try them again. But yes, that kind of thing is right up my alley.

      Delete